Friday, July 1, 2011

Let's Keep Motivated

Working in the humanities can be frustrating, no matter what field we are in.  Writing stories and poetry sometimes takes all we got, and that may not be enough.  So many writers and poets out there already.  It's easy to get discouraged.  The other day I was ready to delete my precious 'Always'.  Luckily, I didn't.  But I had reached a point where I wondered if it would ever get published.  This is a tough business to break in to.  So, I had to motivate myself again. 
First, I thought of Disney's 'A Dream is a Wish':

A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep
In dreams you will lose your heartaches
Whatever you wish for you keep

Have faith in your dreams
And someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
The dream that you wish will come true


Who better to know dreams can come true than Walt Disney himself.  Look at the empire he built!  But he's not the only one rewarded by it.  All of us Disney freaks love the make believe too.  He made many many people and children very happy over the years.

Yep, that's my son and me many years ago in front of the castle.  I love Disneyland.

William Shatner.  He's someone whose very egotistical.  But you know what?  He's right about his acting ability.  He has made a success out of the many characters he's played.  In Star Trek surveys he is still the favored captain.






He brought joy to many Trekkers. 

Who else motivates me, you ask?  Andy Stewart.  How many of you remember him?  He loved his singing career, he loved Scotland, he loved performing and he loved writing songs.  To this day, I still sing many of his songs.  Here is my favorite:
What an amazing tribute to Scottish soldiers.  Look at his castle!  That's what he got for loving what he did and not giving up.

Speaking of soldiers, let's not forget Sgt Barry Sadler of the Green Berets.  His song during the Vietnam Era helped many of us to see that war for what it was and was a great tribute to the Green Berets.  Ok.  I'm a little prejudiced.  My husband was a Green Beret.  Many men and women enlisted because of his song.

What else motivates me?  The Susan Boyle Britain's got Talent.  The audience was laughing at her as she awaited her turn to perform.  She was so nervous.  Before she entered the stage, she said 'I'm going to rock the audience.'  Well, she rocked the world.  Everyone thought she was going to flop.  Dressed in her Sunday Go To Meetin' Dress, looking the best she could, she stated her dream to the judges.  Even they rolled their eyes.  But when she started singing, Simon Cowell got dollar signs in his eyes.  I listen to her whenever I wat to give up.
 Phew!  Tell me that doesn't motivate you.  I still get chills and tears in my eyes when I listened.

JK Rowling was rejected 8 times before an agent accepted her.  What she gave to the world was a tale to be read over and over again.

Amanda Hocking said for the first 18 months her books only did ok.  They took off after that.  Why?  She said it was because of her research on books of her genre and her decision to go with trolls.  She just signed a $2 million contract.

Never lose heart.  And part of the secret, then, is to do it your way.  This man did and people of all ages all over the world still adore him.  No one has had the career he has.  Truly the king of entertainment.

Shakespeare said it best:
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Finally, if this doesn't motivate us, nothing will.  A fourteen year old girl with an amazing talent:
Melissa Venema playing 'Taps'

What a career ahead of her.

So, back to work, all of us.  One of us just might outshine these successful people.

LHR


 

11 comments:

Beth said...

Don't ever throw out your stuff...you know, I started writing this one thing but I got to a point about 20,000 or so words in, that I couldn't figure out how to finish it. But, in my current WIP, I've use several bits from it...changed it up a little bit and added things...so, I'm glad that I never got rid of it.

We are so diverse in what we like and what we don't like, that sometimes we lose sight of what we've done and our accomplishments. I know your stuff is worth reading, so keep it. Even if you don't like it, someone will.

You're wonderful!

DM said...

Thanks, Beth. You are a true friend.

Donna said...

I love Elvis's My Way. I am a new follower. I would like to invite you to my blog for a follow visit. Hope to see you soon. I look forward to visiting again on your site. Donna

http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

DM said...

Donna, I checked out your blog. How fun! I'm happy to follow it.

April Morone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April Morone said...

Glad you wrote this, sis. Ty for writing this, and for sharing the URl that links it in group, as well. You really are an inspiration to many, you know. And at times when I don't want to keep going-when I want to give up on everything when worn from everything-I think of you and those of group and friends, and it keeps me going. I can very literally say that you all keep me going. And I thank you for that. And if there ever are times when you find that these things you've mentioned in your blog aren't helping you keep going, hopefully, the knowledge that you inspire, are cared about, and loved by many people will be able to keep you going, sis. Hugs.

Mark R Hunter said...

And there wasn't, for any of them, a time when they were "nothing".

DM said...

April and Mark, thank you so much for your comments. April, you inspire me too. And I love our group and our friends.
You know, Mark, your comment really made me think. It is definitely true. Thank you.

Mike said...

This is a great blog. It reminds me of something I've told many authors who were ready to throw in the towel: The only way to truly lose is to quit.

The Desert Rocks said...

Beautiful blog post with a great message. Thanks for reminding us about perseverance and determination because giving up and quitting is not an option!

DM said...

Thank you, Mike. I love that the only way to truly lose is to quit. And none of these people ever did.
Thank you, The Desert Rocks. I love that quitting is not an option.